Wednesday, July 23, 2008

One for the bike geeks (you know who you are)....

I'm riding a Moots hardtail with a Rohloff (internal hub gear). The frame is made from titanium which helps bring the bike weight down to about 26lbs. The panniers, tent and other equipment almost doubles the overall weight to 50lbs. This will increase further once food and water is added. I guess it sounds a lot, but when I was a kid Halfords used to sell a bike known as an 'Apollo Blizzard' that weighed about 40lbs so it's not that bad really.


The fork is a Magura Durin. This is something of a wildcard as there is very little prospect of being able to get spare parts for it in North America. When I ordered it this didn't bother me too much because Magura is a German company, and German stuff is typically bombproof (except maybe for Dresden in WW2 which most definitely wasn't). The problem is that the lowers have already had to be replaced because of a crack in the casting. I am hoping that some positive thinking will help keep the fork in one piece. If this doesn't work and it fails completely, I will push it to the nearest bike shop and replace it with a Fox Float.


The only things I now have left to do is decide on the 'spokey dokey' colour combination for my wheels (I don't want to go triggering some poor American's epilepsy), and find some space on my bars to install my hi-tech bear deterrent:

Early tests on a small dog were disappointing in that the noise wound her up. I'm hoping bears display a different response.

Would anyone like to weed my front patio for me?

4 comments:

chris f said...

I doubt it'll make it 20 yards, it's the wrong colour for a start (all the gear, no idea)ha ha ha.

Anonymous said...

A Fox Float!? Are you mad.

The bear deterrent will work for sure. Give it a test run on the first post-hibernate pissed off Grizzly you come across*

* May be the incorrect

No seriously, it will work. Get Howl to try it first.

Anonymous said...

presumably the bear will be terrified at the sight of a large pink breast pump? Better buy a gun guys.

Diane Workman said...

Glad to see you have taken the bear necessities of life with you. Have passed the site to various C/Liners so you are being watched!